Lawyers from across the country carried out a protest march to Delhi’s Jantar Mantar today in order to draw attention of the government to their long standing demands. They are demanding several basic amenities such as lawyer specific housing schemes, medical facility, pension and the like. The lawyers have drawn up a charter of their demands which includes:
- Health Insurance facility for lawyers
- Housing schemes for lawyers and Mediclaim policy
- Group insurance policy for all lawyers
- Rs 10000 monthly stipend for young lawyers
- A monthly pension for veteran lawyers above the age of 60
There are a total of 8500 lawyers in Delhi and 16 lakh lawyers across India. The protest though mostly consisted of Delhi best lawyers yet were highlighting the demands of lawyers across India.
Apoorv Gupta lawyer practicing at east Delhi’s Karkarduma Court said that these demands are long standing demands of the lawyers ” the lawyer Union is fighting for the well-being of junior as well as senior lawyers. These demands are legitimate and well met would help the functioning of the entire judiciary. We hope our demands would be fulfilled soon.”